Alibris

Friday, December 12, 2008

Title I Distinguished Schools and Districts Awarded

State Superintendent of Schools Kathy Cox officially named Georgia's four Title I Distinguished Districts and two National Title I Distinguished Schools today at the State Board of Education meeting.

"These districts and schools are a prime example of the impact high expectations, hard work and collaboration can have on student achievement," Superintendent Cox said. "I'm thrilled to recognize the educators, students and parents in these schools and school districts."

Title I schools have a significant population of students who are economically disadvantaged and receive federal money to assist with the education of these students. The two National Title I Distinguished Schools were among 777 Georgia Title I Distinguished Schools last school year. Title I Distinguished Schools have made Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) at least three years in a row.

"These 777 schools don't accept excuses," Superintendent Cox said. "There are high standards for students and high expectations for teachers. These schools are focused and determined -- and they are getting results."

Title I Distinguished Schools that have made AYP for three consecutive years are awarded a certificate, while those who have made AYP four or more years receive a monetary award, paid for out of federal funds. A list of Georgia Title I Distinguished Schools is attached.

TITLE I DISTINGUISHED DISTRICTS

The Title I Distinguished District award is given to four school systems in four different size categories -- Large District, Medium District, Small District and Very Small District. The awarded districts have closed the achievement gap the most between economically disadvantaged students and students who are not economically disadvantaged in each category. The results of the reading, English language arts and mathematics portions of the Criterion-Referenced Competency Test (CRCT) and the Georgia High School Graduation Test (GHSGT) are used to determine achievement.

The 2008 Title I Distinguished Districts are:

- Large District: Hall County
- Medium District: Gainesville City
- Small District: Mitchell County
- Very Small District: Evans County

The winning districts will each receive $50,000 from federal funds.

NATIONAL TITLE I DISTINGUISHED SCHOOLS

The National Title I Distinguished Schools program recognizes two schools that receive Title I funding. One school is recognized for closing the achievement gap between economically disadvantaged students and students that are not economically disadvantaged. The other school is recognized for exceeding the benchmarks required to make AYP. The CRCT and GHSGT results in reading, English language arts and mathematics are used to determine the winning schools.

The two National Title I Distinguished Schools are:
- Gap Change: Southside Middle School, Dougherty County
- Exceeds AYP: Banks Stephens Middle School, Monroe County Each of these schools will receive $15,000 in federal funds.
---
www.FayetteFrontPage.com
Fayette Front Page
Community News You Can Use
Fayetteville, Peachtree City, Tyrone
www.GeorgiaFrontPage.com
www.ArtsAcrossGeorgia.com
---

No comments: