Alibris

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Calling All Whiz Kids: Discovery Education and 3M Search For America's Top Young Scientist

/PRNewswire/ -- Discovery Education and 3M announce a call for entries in the 2009 Discovery Education 3M Young Scientist Challenge (YSC), the nation's premier science competition for students in grades 5 through 8. Ten finalists will be selected to receive an all-expense paid trip to New York City to compete in the final challenge in October. The winner will receive $50,000 in U.S. Savings Bonds ($25,000 cash value) and the title of "America's Top Young Scientist."

Details of the competition:

1. Middle school students in the U.S. are challenged to create a 1-2 minute video about a specific scientific concept that relates to innovative solutions for everyday life.

2. Videos will be evaluated by a panel of judges based on creativity, persuasiveness, classroom suitability and overall presentation.

3. All video entries must be submitted online at http://www.youngscientistchallenge.com/ by May 20, 2009.

4. The video entry should use science to create an innovative solution to one of these everyday problems:

-- How can I play my music system for my own enjoyment, without disturbing the rest of the house?

-- What can I do to the soles of my shoes to make them better perform when I skateboard?

-- What can I do to reduce the glare on my television when I'm playing video games?

-- What device or method can I create which might help lower my family's heating or cooling bills?

-----
www.fayettefrontpage.com
Fayette Front Page
www.georgiafrontpage.com
Georgia Front Page

No comments: